Thursday, November 04, 2010

BSB

**WARNING before you read: Yes, I know I'm a nerd.  I have come to terms with it and I embrace it.**

Oprah has been having some teenage heartthrobs on her show.  Today The Backstreet Boys were on and they brought back Kevin to complete the 5 members we grew up with.  Dana and I were texting while they were on about the show which very much reminded me of our adolescence when we would talk on the phone or watch them together.  Still, after all the time, I still really enjoy listening to their music.  I still find Nick so cute.  I still can identify with the music.

The first concert I went to was 10 years ago (age 16) at the Pepsi Arena in Albany (which is now the Times Union Center)The last concert that I went to was 5 years ago (yes, at age 21) at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center. It was so funny to see the younger girls singing and dancing at the concert.  But it was also nice that a group I grew up listening to still is acquiring new following.

My husband still teases me because I record them when they're on.  A few months ago a concert was on one of the higher channels and I sat pretzel legged on the floor just like I did as a teenager, watching them on the television, and gushing over them like a young girl.

I gave a speech at Dana's wedding and even quoted some Backstreet Boys because it was a huge part of our growing up and teenage years.  It makes me sad to see some of the role models the kids have today.  Granted, the role models of 10-20 years ago had their issues and the increase of technology and other advancements just makes it more prevalent.  I worry for my students who are on the cusp of their teenage adolescence.  What "celebrity" models are they listening to?  What is the quality of the lyrics in their songs?  I mean, BSB was risque with some of their song lyrics but nothing as suggestive as some of the songs today.  And while there has always been suggestive songs and inappropriate lyrics that kids are listening to, I think that being an adult opens up ones eyes to the exposure to children.  I don't really know where I'm going with this so I'm just going to end this rant here because I just don't know.

But it was good to see the Backstreet Boys on the show today.  I think I may even look into getting tickets to see them on tour.  I mean- it is about time.  It seems I go every 5 years and its been 5 years.  So, Dana- lets get some tickets and see a show!

Here's a video of one (of many) of my favorite songs of theirs:


Backstreet Boys - Shape of my heart
Uploaded by Stella78. - Music videos, artist interviews, concerts and more.

1 comment:

Amira said...

so i remember the pepsi arena concert we all went to. SO much fun. those were the days of taping the backstreet boys and then rewinding and pausing. Good times!